- Possess a valid Teacher’s Certificate or have completed at least 90 semester hours from an accredited college or university with a minimum of 2.5 GPA (Proof of U.S. equivalency must be provided. Foreign transcripts must be transcribed, translation will not suffice.)
- Ability to speak, read and write English well enough to carry out the duties of a substitute teacher
- Have satisfactory outcome of fingerprinting check prior to starting employment (Non-refundable fee paid by employee)
|90+ Sem. Hrs.||$75||$46||$65|
Long term rates depend on the length of the job and the qualifications of the substitutes.
Additional salary supplement provided for working in certain special education classes (requires additional training). Special education training for substitutes will be provided free of cost at various times during the year.
REQUIREMENTS & PROCEDURES
- Complete the On-line Substitute Teacher application.
Only fully-completed applications will be considered.
- Schedule an appointment with the Sub Office.
You will receive a link to the appointment calendar when you complete the application. Applications are processed by appointment only.
- You will need to bring the following completed forms to your scheduled appointment.
Failure to provide the required forms and documents will interrupt the hiring process and you will be rescheduled.
- I-9 form—Employment Eligibility Verification: Federal Law¹ requires us to attest to your Identity and your eligibility to work in the United States. Bring original or certified documents from the List of Acceptable Documents listed on back of I-9 Form. You must bring a document from either list A or a combination of documents from list B and C (e.g. Driver’s License and Social Security Card). In addition to presenting the actual documents to us, you must also provide a copy² of the documents for your employee file.
- W-4 Form: Employee’s withholding allowance certificate
- Official College Transcripts³ if you are not a certified teacher and if college/university is outside of the U.S., you must provide Proof of U.S. equivalency or, if you are a certified teacher, Copy of Valid Teacher Certificate
- Direct Deposit Form: Attach a voided check or a form from your bank to enroll in direct deposit.
- TRS Form: Social Security/Retirement Benefits Reporting
- You will be scheduled for a final appointment to complete the hiring process (to take place after successful completion of the on-line orientation).
- You must have a satisfactory outcome of fingerprinting check prior to starting employment. Non-refundable fee paid by employee. Fingerprints must be done through TEA, no others will be accepted. You will need to schedule your own fingerprinting appointment and provide us with a copy of the fingerprinting receipt.
- Attend an eight-hour Training Workshop if required. This workshop will be offered free of charge by Human Resources for persons with little or no experience teaching children in a classroom setting, or if you have not taught students in the last 5 years, or at the discretion of Human Resources administration.
- You will receive your substitute badge upon successful completion of the online orientation, and provided that you have cleared the background check and attended the substitute training (if required).
- You must work a minimum of 2 days per month in order to remain active as a substitute. (Contact the Sub Office if exceptions are needed.)
¹NISD participates in E-Verify, a program managed by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and the Social Security Administration (SSA.)
²You must make your own copies of required documents.
³You are encouraged to use eScript to email your transcripts to firstname.lastname@example.org. (It is less expensive and faster.)