Carlos Coon's interest in public education began when his sons enrolled at Locke Hill Elementary School. Coon became heavily involved in the PTA at Locke Hill, which led to his election to the NISD Board of Trustees in 1952. He served on the Board for 15 years until 1967 and was Board President during the majority of his tenure.
During his Board service, Coon provided much-needed leadership as Northside transitioned from a rural to urban and suburban school district.
After leaving NISD Board, Coon served as chairman of the Region 20 Education Service Center.
Carlos Coon Elementary opened in 1978 and Coon was a frequent visitor to the campus until his death in 1989.