The mission of the Internal Audit Department of Northside Independent School District, is to provide independent appraisals to District Management and the Board of Trustees, tostrengthen the infrastructure, to develop organizational and personal excellence.
Every audit contact is a mutual sharing of knowledge to promote excellence.
- Everyone shares in the responsibility to strive for excellence.
- Effective communication promotes excellence.
- Learning is a life-long process.
- We serve the community of the District which encompasses students, parents, taxpayers, the Board of Trustees, and all employees.
- There will be zero fraud.
- Audit resources will be allocated based on risk assessment.
- All staff members will achieve excellence in customer relations, communications, and technical proficiency.
- All audited areas will earn a superior evaluation.
Staff Internal Auditors
Internal Audit Charter
General Purpose and Objectives
Internal auditing is an independent appraisal function established within the Northside Independent School district to examine and evaluate its activities as a service to the district. The department is an integral part of the organization and functions under the policies established by senior management and the Board of Trustees. Its objective is to assist management, and the Board when appropriate, by providing them with analyses, appraisals, recommendations, counsel, and information concerning the activities reviewed and by promoting effective control at reasonable cost.
Authorization and Responsibilities
The Board of Trustees establishes the internal audit department and its responsibilities upon the recommendation of the Superintendent. The Superintendent further authorizes full and complete access to any of the NISD records (manual and electronic), physical properties and personnel relevant to a review.
Internal auditors have no direct responsibility or any authority over any of the activities or operations they review.
All internal auditing endeavors are to be conducted in compliance with the Code of Ethics and the Standard for the Professional Practice of Internal Auditing.
The scope of internal auditing encompasses the examination and evaluation of the adequacy and effectiveness of the NISD's system of internal control and the quality of performance in carrying out assigned responsibilities. It includes but is not limited to:
- Reviewing the reliability and integrity of financial and operating information and the means used to identify, measure, classify, and report such information.
- Reviewing the systems established to ensure compliance with those policies, plans, procedures, laws and regulations which could have a significant impact on operations and reports and whether the NISD is in compliance.
- Reviewing the means of safeguarding assets and, as appropriate, verifying the existence of such assets.
- Reviewing and appraising the economy and efficiency with which resources are employed.
- Reviewing operations or programs to ascertain whether results are consistent with established objectives and goals and whether the operations or programs are being carried out as planned.
- Conducting special reviews requested by management. The Board of Trustees may request special reviews through the Superintendent.
- Issuing a written report at the conclusion of each audit and distributing as appropriate.