NISD offers many opportunities for students to earn college credit. Northwest Vista (San Antonio College) and UT OnRamps (University of Texas) are the colleges that we work with to provide advanced coursework.
NISD offers dual credit courses at all of its high schools as a way for students to earn college credit.
Northwest Vista College’s Dual Credit Program allows eligible high school students to earn college credit for certain high school courses in which they are currently enrolled while completing their high school requirements.
Benefits of Dual Credit:
- Dual Credit increases the likelihood that a student will complete high school and enroll continue their college education.
- Decreases the cost of tuition and fees for students in completing their academic degrees
- New graduates enter the workforce at an accelerated rate and begin to earn wages, benefiting themselves and making positive contributions to our economy
- Students can earn credit for up to 14 college courses before graduating from high school. (That would be 7 high school courses or 14 college semester courses.)
- Increases student’s self-confidence!
- Access to campus resources
- Tuition is waived for ISDs
UT OnRamps dual enrollment is a way students can earn college credit while in high school. Different campuses offer different courses so see you campus counselor for the opportunities.
OnRamps' innovative dual-enrollment program brings rigorous courses aligned with the high standards and expectations of The University of Texas at Austin to thousands of students across Texas. Using best-in-class resources, materials, and instructional strategies OnRamps also provides intensive, year-long professional development and support that improves teaching quality in hundreds of classrooms throughout the state.
The key benefit of early exposure to postsecondary education is the authentic entry point to college expectations it provides for students and their families. In addition, earning transferable college credit while in high school accelerates degree completion by reducing the costs and impact of student loans and increasing lifetime earning potential. In OnRamps students learn first-hand all that it takes to succeed in college before they get there.