- What documents do I need to register my child?
- Where does my child go to school?
- When / How / Where do I register?
- What are the age requirements for pre-k and kindergarten?
- How do I get a copy of the school calendar?
- What shots/immunizations do my children need?
- What are the school hours?
- Does my address qualify for bus transportation?
- Northside Parent Connection
- What is the Northside Safeline?
- Where can I get a school supply list?
- Where can I learn more about Athletics?
- Testing Dates
- Where can I find school addresses, phone numbers, and email addresses?
- How do I access Student-Parent Handbooks to find out about policies, the Student Code of Conduct, and rules governing my child?
- Can I receive text or e-mails notices about NISD or my child's school?
- When is the Sales Tax Holiday and what is included?
- When is graduation?
- How can find out more about the dress code/uniforms?
- How do I find out about Bilingual Services?
- How do I find out about NISD Special Education Services?
- Does my school offer after school care?
- How do I find out about NISD Gifted/Talented (GT) Education Services?
- I am moving to San Antonio and have bought a house but have not moved in yet. How do I register my child without a current household bill?
What documents do I need to register my child?
- An original certified copy of the child's birth certificate
- An up-to-date immunization record (More Information)
- Proof of residency (current or prior month's electric bill, water bill, cable bill or landline phone bill)
- Child's Social Security Card (optional)
Where does my child go to school?
All school attendance boundaries are approved by the School Board. To see what school your address is assigned to, and for bus transportation information, go to the Boundaries and Buses page.
When / How / Where do I register?
- Registration for returning high school, middle school, and elementary school students is conducted in the Spring preceding the start of the new school year.
- New-to-Northside elementary school students should call their neighborhood school for specific registration information. School offices reopen on July 30.
- New-to-Northside middle school students register August 14 and 15, 2018.
- New-to-Northside high school students should call their school's counseling office for registration dates in June and July. Prep Days for returning high school students are Aug.14-16.
- New-to-Northside high school students should not plan to register on Prep Days as counselors will be assisting returning high school students. Ongoing registration will occur at the high schools by appointment. Contact your high school for additional information.
- All students will report to school for the first day of classes on August 26, 2019.
What are the age requirements for pre-k and kindergarten?
- Pre-kindergarten: must be 4 years old on or before Sept. 1, 2019 and meet other criteria.
- Kindergarten: must be 5 years old on or before Sept. 1, 2019.
- First grade: must be 6 years old on or before Sept. 1, 2019.
- For more information, go to the kinder website.
How do I get a copy of the school calendar?
You can download and print the school calendar here.
What shots/immunizations do my children need?
Immunizations are required by law. NISD enforces a "No Shots No School" policy. Students who do not have completed immunizations will not be allowed to register. All immunization requirements are subject to changes in the law. Administration of medication at school is strictly controlled by the school nurse in accordance with District Policy. Procedures for administering short or long-term medications are outlined in the Student-Parent Handbook.
For a list of immunization clinics, click here. For questions on immunization clinics in the area, contact the San Antonio Metropolitan Health District at 210-207-8894.
More information is available on NISD's immunizations page.
What are the school hours?
- Elementary School, 7:45 a.m. - 2:55 p.m.
- Middle School, 8:30 a.m. - 3:40 p.m.
- High School, 8:50 a.m. - 4:05 p.m.
Does my address qualify for bus transportation?
Information on which school bus to ride, pickup times and locations can be obtained from your child's school after August 1. In addition, information on bus routes is available from the Boundaries and Buses page.
Meals are planned by registered dietitians and prepared by well-trained cooks. Students may qualify for free or reduced price meals by filling out a free and reduced application. This form must be completely filled out and returned to the campus or Child Nutrition office for approval. For a free and reduced price meals application and information, call 210-397-4517.Lunch and breakfast prices for the 2019-2020 school year:
- Elementary: Lunch ($2.10), Breakfast ($1.00)
- Middle & High: Lunch ($2.35), Breakfast ($1.00)
For non-enrolled students, adults & visitors:
- Breakfast ($2.10), Lunch ($3.70)
All Northside schools are accredited by the Texas Education Agency (TEA) and follow School Improvement Plans, which are aligned with the District Strategic Improvement Plan. Specific data about individual schools is reported on the Academic Excellence Indicator System (AEIS) Report, which is available for the District and is also available on each campus information page.
Northside Parent Connection
The Parent Connection enables parents to monitor their students' daily grades, attendance, and academic history. Since September 2006, all schools are online as part of the "Parent Connection." For more information, go to the Parent Connection website or contact your child's school.
What is the Northside Safeline?
The Northside Safeline is an anonymous 24-hour tipline where anyone may leave information about a threat towards a student or school. It is completely anonymous. The number is 210-397-SAFE (397-7233), or send a text to email@example.com.
More information is available at the Safeline website.
Where can I get a school supply list?
School supply lists are provided by each elementary campus. You may download a copy of your child's school supply list from here. Secondary schools do not have set supply lists. Secondary students will receive instructions regarding what they will need from each of their teachers after school begins.
Where can I learn more about Athletics?
Athletics information is available from the Athletics website.
Information on testing dates is provided by the Testing & Evaluation department.
Where can I find school addresses, phone numbers, and email addresses?
This information is available on the School Information pages.
How do I access Student-Parent Handbooks to find out about policies, the Student Code of Conduct, and rules governing my child?
NISD publishes 38 different handbooks for elementary, middle, high and special schools. There will be a few office copies given to each campus site; however, all student handbooks are available online. The 2018-2019 handbooks will be posted August 22.
Can I receive text or e-mails notices about NISD or my child's school?
NISD has a community notification system called School Messenger to keep parents and students better informed of campus & district activities/news or emergency notices. To sign up to receive these notifications, go to "Contact Manager" at http://nisd.net/parentconnection. It is important that you maintain an updated phone number with the District.
When is the Sales Tax Holiday and what is included?
NISD shoppers will get a break from state and local sales taxes on Aug. 10-12, 2018. A complete list of items and their exemption status is available on the Texas Comptroller's website.
When is graduation?
The dates will be posted on the graduation website.
How can find out more about the dress code/uniforms?
To maintain an environment conducive to learning, student acceptable behavior guidelines are based on responsibility and self-discipline. All students and their parents sign certificates indicating they have received specific school rules. To obtain the campus specific and most up-to-date dress code, please contact your child's school.
How do I find out about Bilingual Services?
The NISD Bilingual Department offers a variety of Bilingual and ESL services to help students be successful. More information is available at the Bilingual/ESL website, or call them at 210-397-8173.
How do I find out about NISD Special Education Services?
NISD has a high quality Special Education Department, serving more than 11,000 students identified as qualifying for special education and related services. For additional information, visit the Special Education website.
Does my school offer after school care?
All Elementary Schools and some Middle Schools in Northside offers the Learning Tree Afterschool Program. A list is available online to see what program is offered at which schools.
How do I find out about NISD Gifted/Talented (GT) Education Services?
NISD offers an array of gifted/talented (GT) services for identified students K‑12. More information is available at the Gifted/Enrichment website http://nisd.net/gt/ or call the Director for GT Programs and Advanced Academics at 210‑397‑8631.
I am moving to San Antonio and have bought a house but have not moved in yet. How do I register my child without a current energy, water, cable or phone bill to show proof of residency?
If you have a binding contract on a home with a closing or move-in date before the start of the school year, you would simply need to show the contract once you assume residency in order to complete registration, along with a few other required documents (ie: immunization records, etc.) However, if you should have a contract with a closing date after the start of the school year, click here for information on Anticipated Move Contracts.