Take a Tour of Kindergarten
Although how a five year-old grows and develops hasn't changed, what they have to learn sure has! Watch how well our teachers work with their students to be sure they are ready for first grade. A day in kindergarten is filled with developing concepts and skills in reading, writing, math, science, and social studies. They also go to “specials” in order to develop concepts and skills in the areas of technology, physical education and music.
Registration begins at your neighborhood school August 1, 2017. Verify which campus your child should attend by using the NISD School Boundaries Information System at http://www.nisd.net/boundaries-and-buses.
In order to be eligible for the kindergarten program, state law (Texas Education Code §29.152) requires that children must be 5 years old on or before September 1st.
original copy (photocopies will not be accepted)
Proof of residence
current electric bill, telephone bill, apartment lease, "closing papers" from a home purchase (mobile phone bills will not be accepted)*
Social security card (optional)
of child being registered
What people are saying
"No child is the same, so we learn how to best teach them." - Pat Mesquiti
*In the event that a family is living with another family or for some other reason cannot meet district requirements for proof of residency, the family may enroll the child by completing a notarized AFFIDAVIT OF RESIDENCE. An AFFIDAVIT OF RESIDENCE requires both the parent/guardian of the child and the resident to appear before the school principal (or designee), present photo ID’s, a copy of the resident’s proof of residency as evidenced by a current utility bill (current or prior month).
Student teacher ratio for all classes is 22:1 and kindergarten school hours are 7:45 a.m to 2:50 p.m.
- Language Arts and Reading
- Social Studies
- Special Classes: computer, art, music and PE
- In order to be promoted into first grade, kindergarten students must be able to:
- Demonstrate proficiency in math.
- Read and comprehend previously unseen text at the ending kindergarten level.
- Demonstrate proficiency on most of the TEKS (Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills) by the end of kindergarten, or be expected to do so early in first grade.
- Mathematics: Pearson enVision Math
- Language Arts: Texas Journeys
- Science: Pearson Science Interactive
- Social Studies: NISD Science/Social Studies Curriculum
Children come first at Northside Independent School District. Nowhere is this more true than in Northside's pre-kindergarten and kindergarten programs. Our programs are tailored to the needs of four- and five-year-old children. A good start is the foundation
of a good education, and we look forward to partnering with you to see your child through his or her education at Northside.
- Find all the information regarding how to register your child in Northside ISD. [View Site]
- Information on the Learning Tree Program. [View Site]