Student Transfers

Inter-district Transfers

In accordance with NISD Board Policy, Northside ISD generally does not accept the enrollment of students who do not reside in the district; however, there are a few exceptions to include those families who qualify for the Grandparent Transfer. The Grandparent Transfer allows for a non-NISD student to attend Northside ISD if the parents reside outside the school district, but the grandparents reside in Northside ISD AND provide "significant after-school care" as approved by the Department of Pupil Personnel. Approval for a Grandparent Transfer is determined during a scheduled hearing process where a notarized application is submitted and documentation/evidence is reviewed. If granted, the student would attend the school that services the grandparent's home address, and the application would be reviewed annually.  For Grandparent Transfer information or to schedule a Grandparent Transfer Hearing, please call the Office of Pupil Personnel at 397-8695.

Intra-district Transfers

In accordance with Texas Education Code (TEC), parents/guardians can petition the school district to have their child attend a Northside ISD campus, other than the one serviced by the home address. Intra-district Transfers include Administrative, Program, Employee, Parental Choice. In accordance with NISD Board Policy FDB(LCOAL), except as otherwise provided by state law, district policy, or board action, the transportation for a transfer student is the responsbility of the student and family. A transfer approved for an individual student does not in any way create an agreement to transfer siblings of the student. The student's eligibility to participate in University Interscholastic League (UIL) contests shall be governed by the UIL's Constitution and Contest Rules as well as by Northside ISD Board Policy FDB(LOCAL), which requires a minimum of one calendar year period of ineligibility for UIL varsity competition.

Administrative Transfers may be initiated administratively to assign a student to a different school for reasons including, but not limited to concerns related to discipline, safety, sexual assault, bullying, or extradordinary conditions affecting  the family or the school. It must be initiated by the home campus principal or Assistant Superintendent or Executive Director for Elementary or Secondary Administration only if one or more of the conditions described above exist. If parent/guardian deems that an administrative transfer is warranted, they should visit the home campus prinicpal. Unless otherwised noted, an Administrative Transfer is valid only for the current school year. 

Program Transfers, available only at the high school level, involve Career and Technology Education concentrated sequence of courses with four or more credits that provide job-specific training and may lead to licensure or cetification. A request for a program transer for the upcoming school year may be submitted for upcoming 9th graders only during priority consideration time frame of April 13 - May 15, 2015. Priority consideration applications will be subject to lottery. Applications received after May 15, 2015 through the deadline of June 30, 2015 will ordered sequentially by date/time received by Pupil Personnel. Program transfers are approved by the requested Campus Principal after a review of the student's discipline and attendance records. Such requests are dependent upon the student being admitted to the specific program and require continuous enrollment to remain in effect. Questions specific to the program transfer type should be directed to the school counselor, administration, and/or program sponsor.

Program Transfer Options
Program Type Brandeis Clark  Jay   Marshall O'Connor Stevens
Architecture yes yes     yes yes
Flexible Manufacturing   yes   yes    
Automotive yes yes yes yes   yes
Collision     yes      
Hospitality Tourism yes     yes   yes
Cosmetology     yes      
Health Science   yes yes yes yes  
Fire Science yes          
Law Enforcement yes         yes
Sign Language       yes    


Employee Transfers may be requested for children of full-time Northside ISD employees to the campus where the employee works. Employees must reside in Northside ISD and complete the application process to include approval/acknowledgement from campus principal. A request for an Employee Transfer originates at the campus of employment through the principal with all appropriate documentation forwarded to the Department of Pupil Personnel.

Parental Choice Transfer Season begins April 1st and ends the Friday before the school year starts for the upcoming school year. Because there is an emphasis in maintaining the integrity and continuity of instruction, Parental Choice Transfers are not processed during the course of the school year for the current school year. Should an extenuating circumstance arise, in which you feel a transfer is warranted, please visit with your campus administration to inquire about the possibility of an administrative transfer or other appropriate options. Parental Choice Transfers are approved subject to available space, which is dependent on projected enrollment, and NISD Board Policy, and when approved are permitted for the level of schooling (i.e. all elementary, middle school, or high school years). Parental Choice Transfers are processed through the Department of Pupil Personnel.