2013 NORTHSIDE ISD BOND EMPLOYEE AWARENESS SURVEY: CUMULATIVE RESULTS
INSTRUCTIONS: NISD has commissioned Raymond Turco & Associates, a public opinion research firm, to conduct a bond awareness survey of Northside ISD employees. This survey is your opportunity to comment on issues relating to student growth, overcrowding, and options available to the district. Please help us by accessing the web site and answering this questionnaire. Thank you very much for your cooperation in this matter.
HOW TO FILL OUT THIS SURVEY: Read each question and click on the response box that is closest to your opinion. Click only one response per question, unless instructed to “check all that apply.” If you do not have an opinion, there is also a no opinion response box available.
In order to participate in this survey, you must first verify that you are an employee of Northside ISD. Please enter your Employee Enumber, including the “E” in the space provided. (After three tries: Your employee ID code was not accepted to be part of the survey. Thank you.)
1. Are you…
Male . . . . . . . 19%
Female . . . . . . 81%
2. Which of the following best describes your job?
Teacher, Librarian, Nurse, OT/PT, Counselor . . . . . 70%
Maintenance . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 0%
Custodial . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1%
Paraprofessional . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 12%
Transportation . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 0%
Child Nutrition . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1%
Campus or District Administrator . . . . . . . . . . 7%
District Office (non administration) . . . . . . . . 3%
Other ________________________________ . . . . . . . 6%
3. How long have you worked for the Northside ISD?
Less than 1 year . . .10%
1-3 years . . . . . .11%
4-6 years . . . . . .19%
7-10 years . . . . . .20%
Over 10 years . . . . 40%
4. Do you live within the Northside ISD?
Yes . . . . . . . . .77%
No . . . . . . . . .23%
5. If yes, how long have you lived in the district? Check the appropriate box:
Less than five years .12%
6 - 10 years . . . . .22%
11 - 20 years . . . .28%
Over 20 years . . . .38%
6. In which of the following age groups would you be classified?
Under 25 . . . . . . . 4%
26-35 . . . . . . . .24%
36-45 . . . . . . . .31%
46-55 . . . . . . . .27%
56-65 . . . . . . . . 13%
Over 65 . . . . . . . 1%
7. Check the box that best describes how satisfied or dissatisfied you are with the quality of public schools in the Northside ISD?
Very satisfied . . . .60%
Satisfied . . . . . .38%
Dissatisfied . . . . . 1%
Very dissatisfied . . 0%
8. During the time you have lived here, do you think the quality of education provided by the NISD has improved, stayed the same or declined?
Improved . . . . . . .72%
Same . . . . . . . . .23%
Declined . . . . . . . 4%
9. Please read the following items, which address issues which may or may not be critical to the Northside ISD. For each statement, please check the box that best describes how strongly you agree or disagree that this issue is critical to your school district.
SA A D SD
a) Constructing new schools to meet 69% 28% 2% 1%
expanding student enrollment
b) Constructing additions at existing 66% 30% 3% 1%
campuses in order to reduce the use
c) Keeping technology in schools current 78% 20% 1% 1%
and up to date
d) Improving school safety and security 76% 22% 2% 1%
10. In 2010 voters in the Northside ISD voted to approve $535 million in bond funds for new schools, renovations and technology. Do you recall voting in that election and if so, did you vote on Election Day or during Early Voting? Check the appropriate box:
Election day . . . . .14%
Early voting . . . . .37%
Didn't vote . . . . .32%
Don't remember . . . .17%
11. How satisfied or dissatisfied are you with how the NISD has undertaken the following issues. Please check the appropriate response box.
VS S D VD
a) Addressed student growth 49% 49% 3% 0%
b) Communicated with district residents 40% 57% 3% 0%
c) Implemented security systems to keep 36% 56% 7% 1%
d) Planned for the future 53% 45% 2% 0%
e) Maintained current facilities 32% 56% 11% 1%
f) Addressed the student needs of 32% 59% 7% 1%
the entire district
g) Done what they said they would do 41% 56% 3% 0%
12. To meet future student needs, the NISD is studying the possibility of holding a bond election in 2014. The board has not called for a bond election, nor has any financial amount been finalized. However, recall that in 2010, voters approved $535 million. For each amount, please check the box that best describes how likely or unlikely you would you be to vote for a bond election in that dollar range. Please check one box for each amount, regardless of you being likely or unlikely.
VL L U VU
a) Under $500 million 54% 32% 8% 6%
b) $500 - $550 million 45% 43% 8% 5%
c) $550 - $600 million 33% 42% 18% 6%
d) $600 - $650 million 22% 35% 31% 12%
e) Over $650 million 21% 25% 32% 23%
13. The package being studied would be adequate to meet the needs of the NISD for the next several years. How strongly would you support or oppose funds being allocated for the following items. For each, please check the appropriate response box.
SS S O SO
a) Build new schools to meet expanding 67% 31% 2% 0%
b) Build classroom additions at campuses 72% 27% 1% 0%
in order to provide comparable programs
at all campuses
c) Replace roofs at older campuses 66% 33% 1% 0%
d) Provide modern computer technology 72% 26% 1% 0%
and support for teachers and students
e) Improve safety and security measures 73% 25% 2% 0%
at school campuses
f) Provide air conditioning for boys & 49% 42% 8% 1%
girls locker rooms at all secondary schls
g) Construct a centralized staff 38% 41% 18% 4%
training/professional development center
h) Purchase land for future schools 53% 42% 4% 1%
14. If an election were held today, how strongly would you support or oppose a bond election in the range of $600 million to fund new school construction, classroom additions, a centralized staff training/professional development center, school renovations and classroom technology and safety?
Strongly support . . .44%
Support . . . . . . .42%
Oppose . . . . . . . . 6%
Strongly oppose . . . 2%
Undecided . . . . . . 6%
15. A significant portion of the proposed bond program would be used to finance new schools. How strongly would you support or oppose a bond election to fund new schools?
Strongly support . . .52%
Support . . . . . . .41%
Oppose . . . . . . . . 4%
Strongly oppose . . . 1%
Undecided . . . . . . 3%
16. Funds would also be used to construct classroom additions and replace roofs and air conditioning units at older schools. How strongly would you support or oppose this item if placed before voters in a bond election?
Strongly support . . .64%
Support . . . . . . .35%
Oppose . . . . . . . . 1%
Strongly oppose . . . 0%
17. In the last two bond elections, voters approved funds to air condition all elementary (2004) and secondary (2007) school gyms. However, boys and girls locker rooms in secondary schools are not air conditioned. How likely or unlikely would you be to approve bond funds to air condition all boys and girls locker rooms at the district’s 29 secondary schools, at a cost of approximately $22 million dollars?
Very likely . . . . .48%
Somewhat likely . . .38%
Somewhat unlikely . .10%
Very unlikely . . . . 4%
18. Workshops and other training programs are required for staff as a way to improve their skills and knowledge. Training currently takes place at the Northside Activity Center, or NAC, but that facility is too small because of the growing number of people requiring training. The district is considering constructing a centralized staff training/professional development center to relieve overcrowding and to provide a specific use facility. The estimated cost for a facility of this nature would be $8 million dollars. How strongly would you support or oppose this item if placed before voters in a bond election?
Strongly support . . .37%
Support . . . . . . .41%
Oppose . . . . . . . .17%
Strongly oppose . . . 5%
19. Several items proposed for the bond package address district wide needs. How likely or unlikely would you be to support the following items? For each,
For each, please check the appropriate response box.
VL L U VU
a) Purchase new buses to replace older models 51% 44% 5% 1%
b) Replace playground equipment at several 51% 43% 6% 1%
c) Technology enhancements and improvements 68% 29% 2% 1%
throughout the district
d) Modernization of schools throughout the 64% 33% 3% 0%
district, including window replacement,
improved access, better lighting and
20. How likely or unlikely would you be to support a bond election based on the following facts? For each, please check the appropriate response box.
VL L U VU
a) Around 2,500 new students enrolled in the 64% 34% 2% 0%
district last year, the equivalent of four
elementary schools or two middle schools or one
large high school.
b) Projected tax rate increases to pay off the 45% 43% 10% 1%
2010 bond debt are below projections
c) Classroom computer technology becomes 58% 36% 5% 1%
out-dated in five years or less
d) Projects in the 2010 bond package are ahead of 56% 39% 5% 1%
schedule and under budget
e) The district must continue to replace roofs on 62% 37% 1% 0%
older campuses to extend the life of the
building and protect taxpayer investment
f) Northside schools are projected to grow by 63% 34% 2% 0%
around 2,500 new students each year for the
21. Please read the statements below. Check the appropriate response box that best describes how strongly you agree or disagree with each.
SA A D SD
a) I will support a bond election because we 64% 34% 2% 0%
must address student growth
b) I will not support the bond election because 7% 13% 52% 29%
I don't want my taxes increasing
c) Students need to learn with the most 56% 37% 6% 1%
d) I will not support a bond election because I 6% 19% 52% 23%
believe $600 million is too much money
e) I will support a bond election because 36% 53% 10% 1%
construction costs are low and we can get
more for what we spend
f) I will support the bond election because the 48% 48% 4% 0%
district has done a good job implementing the
2010 bond program and prior bond programs
g) I will support the bond package if all parts 48% 45% 7% 0%
of the district see improvement
SA A D SD
h) I will support the bond package because the 33% 49% 16% 2%
increase in taxes projected from the 2010 bond
i) I will support the 2014 bond package because I 58% 38% 3% 1%
believe that school safety and security are
j) I will support the bond package because I 31% 42% 20% 7%
believe the district needs a centralized
staff training/professional development center
22. If a bond election is held and approved by voters, your taxes may increase. Would you be willing to support a bond package in which your tax bill might increase an average of $12 per month or $144 per year for the years 2015 through 2020, based on the average value of a home in NISD ($164,615)?
Yes . . . . . . . . .87%
No . . . . . . . . . .13%
23. Now after reading the information presented over the course of the survey, if you were voting today, how strongly would you support or oppose a bond election in the range of $600 million to fund new schools, classroom additions, school renovations and modernizations, a centralized staff training/professional development center, and classroom technology and safety?
Strongly support . . .46%
Support . . . . . . .43%
Oppose . . . . . . . 5%
Strongly oppose . . . 1%
Undecided . . . . . . 5%
Thank you for participating in this very important project. Your assistance will help the district in better understanding the issues from the perspective of employees.
VOTING HISTORY OF THE SAMPLE
In original phone sample . . . . 4%
Voted but not in phone sample .43%
Non voter since 2009 . . . . . . 9%
Registered to vote but outside .16%
Non matched . . . . . . . . . .28%
Campus based . . . . .89%
Noncampus based . . .11%