The Northside ISD School Age Parenting Program (SAPP) provides support services to teen parents to enable them to stay in school and work towards academic success. SAPP is a drop out recovery and prevention program. Working through a case management model SAPP provides support services which may alleviate barriers teen parents face in obtaining their high school diploma.
Funding sources for School Age Parenting Programs and services are:
- State Compensatory Education
- Pregnancy-Related Services
- Career & Technology (Carl Perkin's Funds)
- McKinney-Vento Homeless
- Special Education Funds
- Growing Tree
SAPP services include:
- A Nurse or Social Work Case Manager is assigned to each pregnant or parenting program participant. Case Managers assist students in accessing medical (Medicaid), WIC, and social services.
- Assistance in accessing subsidized child care tuition (CCS).
- Parenting classes are offered at all NISD comprehensive high schools.
- Precious Minds New Connections, which is funded by Kronkosky Charitable Foundation, provides parenting enrichment classes which are incorporated into the teen parenting classes.
- School Age Parenting School provides academic postpartum education for 6 weeks following delivery of the infant
- Summer Credit Retrieval and Credit Acceleration offered at the SAP School.
- Assistance in obtaining scholarships (FAFSA).
All financial assistance is based on availability of funds and Case Manager approval.
School Age Parenting Program (SAPP) is a voluntary program and any NISD student who is pregnant or parenting can choose to participate.
Students maintain eligibility by:
- Enrolling in Teen Parenting class for 1 credit, thereafter credit of sequential parenting class each year until graduation
- Developing a Career Pathway plan and enroll in the appropriate classes each year until graduation
- Attending school regularly
- Demonstrating appropriate behavior as outlined in the NISD handbook
Program Contact Information
6632 Bandera Rd. P-1
San Antonio, Texas 78238
Phone: (210) 397-8111
FAX: (210) 522-8151
Lisa M. Delgado, Lisa.firstname.lastname@example.org
Veronica Avalos, Veronica.email@example.com