The Northside Fine Arts department has been influenced and shaped by the teaching talents and administrative skills of many people over the years. However, the direction and vision of the music department was shaped by one person, Bob Lewis. Lewis spent 33 years as music teacher and eventually music supervisor for Northside ISD. In 1957, Northside Schools were vastly different from present day NISD in terms of students, facilities, and fine arts staff. The District was mostly rural. The high school and junior high were located on the site of present day Marshall High School.