Curriculum and Instruction
PRIORITY - Increase student achievement and academic success by strengthening educational programs and opportunities for all students, teachers, and staff.
Increase student achievement in core areas with additional support and priority for specific areas and targeted populations:
- English/Language Arts
- Social Studies
- Evaluate and improve instructional support programs to meet the diverse needs of all students.
- Ensure access to proven, effective instructional technology.
- Sustain and improve a high-quality, coordinated staff development system to meet the mission and goals of NISD.
- Use multiple sources of reliable data to assess, guide, and strengthen instruction.
- Ensure availability of resources to implement changing systems of accountability.
- Increase student achievement in core areas with additional support and priority for specific areas and targeted populations:
Safe and Secure Schools
PRIORITY - Provide a well-defined plan to promote a safe, secure, respectful, and drug-free environment for students, staff, and the Northside community.
- Maintain an appropriate number of personnel in departments which impact the safety and security of students, staff, and facilities.
- Organize and provide appropriate staff development and resources to support district safety.
- Investigate and utilize emerging technology to enhance student, staff, and facility safety in the district.
- Provide and support programs which promote school discipline, school culture, and character development in order to reduce Code of Student Conduct violations.
- Provide access to appropriate data for school personnel, parents, and community to guide in planning for safe and secure schools.
- Recommend equipment and facility needs to improve safety at all facilities.
- Comply with legislative initiatives regarding school safety and security.
PRIORITY - Recruit, develop and retain highly qualified, effective personnel.
- Recruit and hire quality staff so that 98% of all positions will be filled by the first day of instruction.
- Recruit and retain employees in “difficult to staff” campuses and worksites.
- Recruit and retain a diverse applicant pool through innovative and non-traditional programs.
- Comply with all NCLB requirements and any federal and state regulations as mandated.
- Promote and ensure a culture of appreciation, support, and understanding for all employees.
- Promote healthy and safe working conditions for all employees.
- Recruit, retain, and reward quality employees through a competitive and responsive total compensation package to include salary, benefits, and incentives.
PRIORITY - Implement and support technological and human infrastructures that maximize the purposeful use of technology to achieve academic, personal, and organizational excellence.
- Ensure that all students demonstrate relevant information, communications, and technology competencies necessary for digital-age literacy.
- Infuse appropriate instructional technologies throughout the curriculum to engage students, differentiate instruction, and strengthen learning and achievement.
- Provide appropriate staff development opportunities that meet the needs of diverse learners in order to promote continuous growth of technology competencies expected for successful job performance.
- Implement and support research-based, integrated technology systems and solutions that aid in decision-making and fulfilling instructional and operational requirements.
- Develop, implement, monitor, and adjust plans and policies that address technology priorities, standards, access, and use.
- Ensure access to reliable and well-supported technology and network systems to meet current and emerging needs.
PRIORITY - Enhance and expand a credible, comprehensive, two-way communication system to keep the community informed and engaged while promoting the mission and goals of the Northside School District.
- Implement new ideas and enhance existing initiatives that strengthen and expand comprehensive internal communications and public relations programs.
- Implement new ideas and enhance existing initiatives that inform and engage the community through external communications and public relations programs.
- Promote activities that enhance communication with internal and external publics to ensure accurate information is disseminated in a timely manner from a reliable source during a crisis.
PRIORITY - Create partnerships which lead to enduring relationships among schools, families, businesses, and community stakeholders that will be beneficial to all involved, meet the needs of specific demographic areas, and ensure innovation, learning, healthy lifestyles, and the ability to pursue career avenues to become productive members of society and to continue the legacy of partnerships.
- Encourage family involvement, sustained through technology and creative measures, to provide two-way communication for the benefit of student growth.
- Make communication more accessible among families, the community, and their schools, and emphasize the importance of technological skills for students to be successful in both higher education and to function effectively in the real world.
- Recruit and educate staff and partners to develop, maintain, evaluate, and recognize outstanding partnerships which are mutually beneficial to support curriculum and expand opportunities to NISD students and families.
- Strive to instill community service values, environmental awareness, and expand educational opportunities, which include internships, educational partnerships, peer mentor relationships, and volunteer organizations, which enrich students’ lives and promote successful future partners and leaders.
PRIORITY - Provide and maintain instructional facilities, support facilities, and transportation services for the existing and growing student population to ensure a maximum educational experience for all students.
- Build an average of 200 classrooms per year, including support rooms, based upon projected enrollment.
- Maintain a continuous addition/renovation program for existing campuses to achieve district-wide standards.
- Bring all extra-curricular and athletic facilities to district standards, including ADA access to fields.
- Establish Maintenance satellite operations and maintain appropriate staffing ratios for growth.
- Modernize vehicle management for Transportation, Maintenance, and other departments by utilizing Global Positioning System (GPS) to increase efficiency, student safety, and security.
- Build a 5th Transportation Station and upgrade existing facilities at Rhodes and Culebra Centers.
- Continue the District’s efforts in energy conservation and implement Green Building initiatives where financially feasible.
PRIORITY - Pursue funding and resource options that will provide an equitable and quality education for all students while ensuring fiscal responsibility and accomplishing the mission and goals of the District.
- Communicate with and educate all stakeholders regarding the financial system of public education, as well as the fiscal responsibility and stability of the District.
- Maximize and sustain influential and effective communication with federal, state, local, and private sectors on all issues regarding the District.
- Aggressively pursue ways to accommodate a growing student population and changes in legislative mandates by actively seeking appropriate external funding sources.
- Maximize innovative technology to promote operational efficiency.
- Continue the aggressive pursuit of innovative investment options and debt management opportunities.
- Monitor and anticipate changes in state funding and the general economy and garner input from internal stakeholders in order to plan for the effective fiscal management of the District.