Two new schools join the NISD family on first day of school

Graphic banner for video on first day of school
August 30, 2017

Around 106,000 students and 7,000 teachers headed back to the classroom when 119 schools re-opened on Monday. Joining the District are two new schools, John M. Harlan High School and Nathan Kallison Elementary School.

The new schools are named for pioneers in their own right. Nathan Kallison was a path-breaking innovative rancher and agriculturist on the 2,700-acre land where the school bearing his name now sits. His mission was to share scientifically advanced and effective techniques in farming and ranching to the entire South Texas area.

John M. Harlan served as an associate justice of the U.S. Supreme Court from 1877 to 1911. Harlan, a Kentuckian, had the nickname “The Great Dissenter” because he was the only justice to vote against the outcome of Plessy v Ferguson in 1896 and other cases that solidified the legal standing of segregation until the high court and Congress began to dissolve those laws in the 1950s and 1960s.

Harlan High School was built to relieve overcrowding at Taft, Brennan, and O’Connor high schools. Kallison Elementary School was built to relieve Henderson Elementary School.

Dedication ceremonies for the two schools have been scheduled. They are Oct. 11 for Harlan High School, and Nov. 1 for Kallison Elementary School.

Click here to watch a video about opening day at NISD’s two newest schools.

To view first day of school pictures from both schools, click here.