It is time for families to start updating their children’s immunizations in order to be prepared for the first day of school on August 28. Some students may not have the requisite number of shots and not know it due to the state increasing the number of shots required at various grade levels. (Note that 8th grade was added this coming year to the Hepatitis Type A requirement.)
University Health System is offering a convenient way for parents to stay up-to-date with their child’s immunizations. They will dispatch a mobile clinic to 10 NISD campuses in August.
Their Children’s Health bus will be at the following schools from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. on the dates listed:
- August 1 – Rudder MS – 6558 Horn Blvd., 78240
- August 2 – Rayburn MS – 1400 Cedarhurst, 78227
- August 3 – Rawlinson MS – 14100 Vance Jackson, 78249
- August 9 – Jones MS – 1256 Pinn Road, 78227
- August 10 – Neff MS – 5227 Evers Road, 78238
- August 15 – Pease MS – 201 Hunt Lane, 78245
- August 17 – Stinson MS – 13200 Skyhawk, 78249
- August 22 – Ross MS – 3630 Callaghan, 78228
- August 23 – Jefferson MS – 10900 Shaenfield Road, 78254
- August 24 – Jordan MS –1725 Richland Hills, 78251
Please call 210-358-7020 or visit www.healthyUexpress.com to make an appointment or for more information. Appointments and walk-ins are accepted while supplies last. Parents are asked to bring immunization records to appointments.
Texas law requires all public school children have current immunizations in order to attend class. Northside ISD encourages parents to have their children immunized prior to the first day of school.
Contact the Health Services Department at 210-397-3551 with questions.
Immunization Requirements for 2017-2018
· DTP/DTaP/DT/TD/Tdap Five doses are required for entry of kindergarten students unless the fourth dose was received on or after the 4th birthday. Doses are also required for students entering pre-kindergarten – school nurse will evaluate. Students age 7, starting their vaccine, are required to have three doses. One booster dose of a Tetanus/Diphtheria/Pertussis-containing vaccine is required for entry into 7th grade if at least 5 years have passed since the last dose of a Tetanus-containing vaccine. Grades 8-12 require a booster dose of Tetanus/Diphtheria/Pertussis-containing vaccine every 10 years.
· Polio: Four doses of Polio vaccine are required for kindergarten students unless the third dose was received after the 4th birthday. Doses are also required for students entering pre-kindergarten – school nurse will evaluate. It can be any combination of OPV or IPV. Not required of 18-year-old students.
· Measles/Mumps/Rubella: Two doses are required. The first dose shall be administered on or after the 1st birthday. The second dose is to be administered by age 5 or entry into kindergarten. One dose is required for pre-kindergarten.
· HIB: Three doses of Haemophilus Influenza type B vaccine and a booster if given before the child is 15 months or one dose of vaccine if given after 15 months. HIB vaccine is given through 4 years of age and is required for students in pre-kindergarten.
· Hepatitis Type A: Two doses of Hepatitis A are required for students in grades PK, K, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 , 6, 7, and 8. The second dose of Hepatitis A is administered six months after the administration of the first dose.
· Type B: Three doses of Hepatitis B are required for pre-kindergarten through 12th grade.
· Varicella (Chicken Pox): Two doses of Varicella vaccine received on or after the 1st birthday are required for students in grades K through 12. If the student has had Varicella (Chicken Pox) illness, please request a form from the school nurse to validate illness. One dose is required for students entering pre-kindergarten.
· Pneumococcal (PCV7): PCV7 is mandated for all students 3 through 4 years of age. The school nurse will evaluate the number of doses needed or if the student is complete to enter pre-kindergarten.
· Menactra (Meningococcal Conjugate Vaccine): This vaccine protects students 11 years of age and older from Meningitis. One dose is required for students in grades 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 and 12.
* For information on immunization exemptions please access the Department of State Health Services Website at: http://www.dshs.state.tx.us/immunize/school/default.shtm#exclusion