In School Bond 2010 and School Bond 2014, voters approved the construction of 12 more schools and major renovations and classroom additions to older NISD schools. Those 2010 schools are completed and the School Bond 2014 projects are well underway. This means that more than 800 classrooms are ready or will be ready to accommodate increasing enrollment.
Here is a construction update:
- Harlan High School. This project is about 39 percent complete. The $110.8 million school is designed by Garza Bomberger & Associates and is being built by Joeris Construction for around 2,800 students. It is located in far west San Antonio at 14350 FM 471 W.
- Cole Elementary School. This school is about 23 percent complete. It will house around 800 students. The $25 million school is designed by Noonan Rittimann and being built by Bartlett Cocke General Contractors. It is located at 2252 Talley Rd.
- Fields Elementary School. This school is about 24 percent complete and it will house 800 students. Architect on the $24.6 million project is O’Neill Conrad Oppelt and the school is being built by Joeris General Contractors. It is located at 9570 FM 1560N in Helotes.
- Northside Sports Gym. The $26 million sports gym is under construction at the Farris Athletic Complex next to the stadium and swim complex. It is designed by Marmon Mok and being built by Bartlett Cocke General Contractors. It is about 9 percent complete and is funded through School Bond 2010 savings.
- Campus Security Management Systems. This project is about 95 percent complete. It installs and updates security systems at 75 elementary schools and four middle schools. It includes interior and exterior security cameras, access controls, intrusion alarms, and motions detectors.
- O’Connor HS Agriculture. This project is about 95 percent complete. It installs more pens for animals, reconfigures the barns, and updates the shop area. The $818,000 project is designed by Shawn Kaarlsen & Associates and the contractor is Baron-Long.
- Neff Middle School projects. This project is about 71 percent complete. It replaces all the windows at the school to be more energy efficient and provides upgrades to the school to be compliant with the Americans with Disabilities Act and also renovates some special education classrooms. The $3.5 million upgrade is designed by Garza Architects and built by D.L. Bandy.
- Rudder Middle School addition. This $4.7 million projects adds a science classroom addition and other renovations. It is about 17 percent complete and will be completed in summer 2016. Alamo Architects is designing the project and D.L. Bandy is building it.
- Luna Middle School addition. A classroom addition designed by Garza Bomberger & Associates is under construction for $3.2 million. Guido Construction is the builder. It is about 13 percent complete and will be finished by summer 2016.
Other major projects in the bid or design phases include a major renovation and addition at Holmes High School which will upgrade the fine arts classrooms and build a new theater. This project is expected to begin in summer 2016 and be completed by summer 2017. An additional Child Nutrition Warehouse is also in the design phase.
Various upgrades are also planned for Allen, Esparza, Thornton, Glenoaks, and Cody elementary schools, Pease and Zachry middle schools, and Clark and Jay high schools.
More information on these and other projects is available on the Bond website.