The auditorium at Northside Alternative Middle School (NAMS)–North is now a Texas Historical Landmark.
More than 80 years ago, the building was part of the original Locke Hill Elementary School. Locke Hill is one of the pioneer schools that joined together to form Northside ISD in 1949.
NISD officials gathered with members of the Locke Hill Student Alumni Group to unveil the historical marker now located in the front of the building. Students from the current Locke Hill ES on DeZavala Road performed an old and new version of the Locke Hill school song. This is the first time that the song has been sung in the building since 1976 when the school was relocated to its current location on DeZavala Road to accommodate growth and new building standards.
The auditorium was built in 1934 by the federal Works Progress Administration (WPA) and is made of limestone from a nearby quarry. The building is still used today as a Northside ISD meeting space and as a cafeteria for students at NAMS–North.
This is actually not the first historical marker in Northside ISD or first involving Locke Hill Elementary School. There is another historical marker at the DeZavala location in honor of the school which will celebrate its 150th year of continuous operation in 2018.
Visit our Facebook page for an album of pictures from the event.
Pictured unveiling the marker are (from l-r) Betty Sherrod, 5th graders Imani De la Garza and Amani Coleman, and Elaine DeMunbrun. Sherrod and DeMunbrun represented the Locke Hill Student Alumni group.