Northside ISD offers free, half-day pre-kindergarten for eligible four-year-old students in their neighborhood schools. There are over 2,800 pre-kindergarten students projected for next school year.
Parents may register their child at their home campus beginning August 4. Find out which campus your child should attend by using the NISD School Boundaries Information System.
“Northside has been in the pre-kindergarten business for years,” says Pat Mesquiti, Instructional Specialist for Pre-Kindergarten and Kindergarten programs. “We have a tried and true program, high-quality teachers, and we are constantly looking at ways to strengthen our instruction to help our students. Pre-K students will continue with NISD through kindergarten and beyond, so we strive to provide a solid foundation of learning from day one.”
In order to be eligible for pre-kindergarten, state law requires that children must be 4 years of age on or before September 1, and (one of the following):
- unable to speak or comprehend the English language, or
- eligible to participate in the National Free/Reduced Lunch Program, or
- homeless, or
- come from a family whose parent or official guardian is "active-duty" military personnel or whose parent/guardian was killed, injured or missing in action while on active duty, or
- have been in the conservatorship (foster care) of the Department of Family and Protective Services (DFPS) following an adversary hearing.
Parents should bring the following documentation to registration:
- Immunization Record – updated
- Proof of Residence – current electric bill, telephone bill, apartment lease or closing papers from a home purchase (cell phone bills will not be accepted)
- Birth Certificate – must be original
- Social Security card – optional
- Proof of (Gross) Income
More detailed descriptions of acceptable documentation along with the additional documentation required for military personnel can be found at NISD's pre-k/kinder site.
For more information about Northside pre-kindergarten, call 397-8780 or visit NISD's kinder site.
Through the Family Service Association, Northside offers Head Start for approximately 750 three-and-four-year-olds. Some four-year-olds attend school for a full day- a half-day of pre-kindergarten and a half-day of Head Start. To qualify, students have to live in the attendance zone for a school that offers Head Start, which will be at 17 campuses for the 2014/2015 school year. For more information and full eligibility requirements, contact the Family Service Association at 299-2400.
The City of San Antonio operates four sites which offer free, full-day pre-kindergarten for eligible students under the Pre-K 4 SA initiative. For information about Pre-K 4 SA, call 206-PREK (7735) or go to www.sanantonio.gov.