Three first-year and three veteran teachers were named District Educators of the Year at special celebrations held annually to honor teachers who give 100 percent when it comes to improving the lives of children. In addition, Northside’s nominee for the 2014 Trinity Prize for Excellence in Teaching was announced.
The 2014 Northside Educators of the Year are:
- Gina Reina, GT teacher, Wanke Elementary School
- Laura Herold, Algebra and Pre-AP math teacher, Ross Middle School
- Sandra McKinzie, Social Studies teacher, Marshall High School
The 2014 Northside First Year Educators of the Year are:
- Lorena Sandoval, 4th grade teacher, Mead Elementary School
- Brittany McEachirn, GT and 7th grade Reading teacher, Stinson Middle School
- Liza Frick, English III teacher, Marshall High School
And, the District’s nominee for the 2014 Trinity Prize for Excellence in Teaching Award is Michael Byrnes an Industrial Technology teacher from Construction Careers Academy.
In addition to receiving engraved plaques, first-year awardees received checks for $250, and the veteran teachers and Trinity nominee received $500 checks.
A panel of NISD educators selected the District winners from among the 210 campus Educators of the Year.
All campus winners were deemed “Simply the Best” at the District’s Educator of the Year celebrations, held March 4 and 6 this year.
The celebration has been dubbed “Simply the Best,” because the campus winners parade into the auditorium to Tina Turner’s famous song by the same name.