More than 30 teams in both the middle and high school levels competed in the Regional Science Bowl competition held at Jay Science and Engineering Academy recently. Top winners included:
- Middle School Science Bowl Fuel Cell Car Design competition - Rawlinson MS Blue Team, 1st; and Rawlinson MS Red Team, 3rd.
- Middle School Fuel Cell Car Race - Briscoe MS Green team, 3rd.
- Middle School Academic Bowl - Rawlinson MS Red team, 1st; and the Hector Garcia MS Red Team, 3rd.
- High School Academic Bowl - Brandeis HS Red Team, 3rd.
Because of their first place win in the Academic Bowl, Rawlinson Red team members Siena Pangtay, Isaiah Butcher, Kevin Choy, Cameron Weber, and Thomas Ferrer, and their sponsor Anne Cowell, will receive an all-expense paid trip to Washington, D.C. to compete in the National Middle School Science Bowl later this spring.
Other NISD teams placing include:
- Middle School Fuel Cell Race - Jordan MS Blue, 4th; Luna MS Red, 5th; Vale MS Red, 6th; Jordan MS Red, 7th; Vale MS Green, 8th; and Vale MS Blue and Jefferson MS Red, tied for 10th.
- Middle School Academic Bowl - Jordan MS Blue, 5th; Briscoe MS Blue, 6th; Jefferson MS Red, 8th; and Briscoe MS Green, Briscoe MS Red, and Hector Garcia MS Green, tied for 9th.
- High School Academic Bowl - O'Connor HS Red, 4th; Communications Arts HS Red, 5th; Clark HS Red, 7th; and Clark HS Blue and Clark HS Green, tied for 9th.
The Science Bowl is sponsored by the U.S. Department of Energy and is the only science competition sponsored by any federal agency. NISD has hosted the competition for the past 10 years, thanks to the support of Booz Allen Hamilton and MITRE Corporation.