"The world is not dangerous because of those who do harm
but because of those who look at it without doing anything."
Fact checking online is more important than ever MetroSverige YouTube
How can you help yourself in this crisis?
- To help you evalutate information or a situation and think clearly check out this page: Don't Be Fooled Again!
- Ask your librarian about information and media literacy skills such as how to recognize untrustworthy information on the internet.
- What is Media Literacy? - BrainPop
- Distinguishing Fact from Opinion - for secondary students - SnapLanguage
- How to find out if a photo your friend posted online is fake - American Press Institute
- Propaganda is all around us. Do you know how to recognize it? - Mind Over Media
- For researching and projects, check to make sure you're using the trustworthy and authoritative digital resources Northside purchases for you.
How do you know for sure? Do your own fact checking:
- Politifact -a Pulitzer Prize winning indedpendent fact checking org. -on YouTube -on Facebook -on Twitter
- Snopes -a reference source for rumors and misinformation -on Facebook -on Twitter
- FactCheck.org -a nonpartisan, nonprofit project of Annenberg PPC of the Univ. of Pennsylvania that monitors the factual accuracy of news
Where do the media outlets fall on the media bias chart? -The Chart
-Many informationa and media literacy specialists recommend PBS, NPR & BBC for more balanced news and information.
- Customize the news sources you view on your phone - Twitter lists, Customize Google News and more!
- Digital Literacy - Know how to make the most of social media! -Teaching Tolerance
- Get skills and deep knowledge (literacy) in social media & news. See all 12 videos in the series: CrashCourse
- YouTube that is worth your time: Idea Channel
- Get an idea of how much mis- and dis-information is on the internet.
-See the list compiled by Melissa Zimdar, Assistant Professor of Communication in the Dept. of Communication and Media at Merrimack College
-This list by Politifact is not an exhaustive list: