Evers School, the first in the Leon Valley area, was established in 1894 through the combined efforts of Sylvester Steubing, Fritz Borman, Henry Reininger, George Reininger and Christian Evers, Sr. on two acres of land donated by the Evers family at the corner of Evers and Huebner Roads. Evers school was constructed from 1 by 10 inch rough boards. The building was approximately 30x24 feet and was equipped with double folding desks, table, chalkboard, and a cast iron stove.
Evers school was constructed from 1 by 10 inch rough boards. The building was approximately 30x24 feet and was equipped with double folding desks, table, chalkboard, and a cast iron stove. It had lean-to sheds on two sides and a front porch which served as a stage for programs or plays. Later, metal siding was put over the boards and it became known as the Old Tin School.
Enrollment seldom exceeded 25 students in the years from 1894 through 1900. There were no compulsory education laws but most of the children began school at about age 7. Younger children were allowed to attend if they were accompanied by an older sibling. Children walked, rode donkeys, or rode in wagons with parents to school. Two students carried water in a pail from a hand dug well east of where John Marshall High School is today. Playground equipment consisted of tree limbs, baseballs made out of socks, and piles of rocks for bases.
In 1924 the Leon Valley Common School District No. 5 1/2 came into existence. Evers School, the Old Tin School was relocated by tractor and moved to the corner of Bandera and Grissom Roads. It was used as a teacherage through the early 1950's when it was demolished to provide space for the construction of new classrooms and an office.
Three acres of the land were donated by Don Gal van and five acres were purchased from the Catholic Church for $50 per acre. The new school, renamed Leon Valley by Henry Steubing, had 67 children enrolled in nine grades during the 1924-1925 school year. The two teachers were paid yearly salaries of $700 and $500. They instigated the first 54 cent hot lunch program. Food was prepared at home and served at the school from a Ford automobile. For the 1925-1926 School year, a small lunch room was erected in which to prepare and serve lunches. The children ate outside. A local blacksmith, Mr. Carl Ebert made most of the first utensils used.
The current Christian Evers Elementary was built in 1992 and was dedicated by Mr. Jack C. Jordan, Superintendent of Schools, and Dr. Robert James, President of the Northside Board of Trustees. Mrs. Susan Evers, the great granddaughter of Mr. Christian Evers, Sr. spoke at the dedication on November 15, 1992.