University Health System is offering a convenient way for high school students to stay up-to-date with their immunizations, receive a flu shot, and prepare for college vaccination requirements. They will dispatch a mobile clinic to all NISD high schools in the coming months.
The mobile clinics offer meningitis vaccines, which are required for students when entering colleges and universities. High school seniors can take advantage of the mobile clinic at their campus to meet this requirement early. The College and Career Center on each campus has the forms to fill out.
The mobile clinic will be at the following schools on the dates/times listed:
- Feb. 5 – Clark HS – 5150 DeZavala Road, 78249 – 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Feb. 6 – Holmes HS – 6500 Ingram Road, 78238 – 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Feb. 7 – Brennan HS – 2400 Cottonwood Way, 78253 – 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Feb. 12 – Brandeis HS – 13011 Kyle Seale Parkway, 78249 – 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Feb. 13 – Marshall HS – 8000 Lobo Lane, 78240 – 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Feb. 14 – Irene Chavez Excel Academy – 11937 I-10, 78230 – 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Feb. 20 – O’Connor HS – 12221 Leslie Road, 78023 – 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Feb. 21 – Taft HS – 11600 Culebra Road, 78252 – 10 a.m. to 2 p.m
- Feb. 26 – Warren HS – 9411 Military Drive West, 78251 – 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- March 5 – Health Careers HS – 4646 Hamilton Wolfe, 78229 – 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- March 6 – Harlan HS – 14350 Culebra Road, 78253 –10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- March 7 – Jay HS – 7611 Marbach Road, 78227 – 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- March 27 – Stevens HS – 600 Ellison N., 78251 – 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
For a complete list of immunization clinics in San Antonio, call San Antonio Metro Health at 210-207-8894 or visit the San Antonio Metro Health website.
Immunization Requirements for 2018-2019
DTP/DTaP/DT/TD/Tdap: Five doses are required for entry of kindergarten students unless the fourth dose was received on or after the 4th birthday. Doses are also required for students entering pre-kindergarten – school nurse will evaluate.
Students age 7, starting their vaccine, are required to have three doses. One booster dose of a Tetanus/Diphtheria/Pertussis-containing vaccine is required for entry into 7th grade if at least 5 years have passed since the last dose of a Tetanus-containing vaccine. Grades 8-12 require a booster dose of Tetanus/Diphtheria/Pertussis-containing vaccine every 10 years.
Polio: Four doses of Polio vaccine are required for students in grades K-12 unless the third dose was received after the 4th birthday. Doses are also required for students entering pre-kindergarten – school nurse will evaluate. It can be any combination of OPV or IPV. Not required of 18-year old students.
Measles/Mumps/Rubella: Two doses are required. The first dose shall be administered on or after the 1st birthday. The second dose to be administered by age 5 or entry into kindergarten. One dose is required for pre- kindergarten.
HIB: Three doses of Haemophilus Influenza type B vaccine and a booster if given before the child is 15 months or one dose of vaccine if given after 15 months. HIB vaccine is given through 4 years of age and is required for students in pre-kindergarten.
Hepatitis Type A: Two doses of Hepatitis A are required for students in grades PK, K, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 and 9. The second dose of Hepatitis A is administered six months after the administration of the first dose.
Type B: Three doses of Hepatitis B are required for pre-kindergarten through12th grade.
Varicella (Chicken Pox): Two doses of Varicella vaccine received on or after the 1st birthday are required for students in grades K through 12. If the student has had Varicella (Chicken Pox) illness, please request a form from the school nurse to validate illness. One dose is required for students entering pre-kindergarten.
Pneumococcal (PCV7): PCV7 is mandated for all students 3 through 4 years of age. The school nurse will evaluate the number of doses needed or if the student is complete to enter pre-kindergarten.
Menactra (Meningococcal Conjugate Vaccine): This vaccine protects students 11 years of age and older from Meningitis. One dose is required for students in grades 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 and 12.
* For information on immunization exemptions access the Department of State Health Services website.