Bilingual Transitional Academic Program
What is the Bilingual Transitional Program in Northside ISD?
What schools offer the Bilingual Transitional Program?
What if my neighborhood school does not offer the Bilingual Transitional Program?
Who will teach my child in the Bilingual Transitional Program?
Why is the Transitional Program the best placement for my child?
- Bilingual teachers are specially trained to teach students who are learning English as a second language.
- Bilingual teachers are able to identify academic strengths and needs and tailor instruction for students in all academic areas in the targeted language.
- Bilingual teachers know which concepts/skills in Spanish transfer into English easily and which may require more work.
Why is Spanish used for instruction?
How will the Bilingual Transitional Program help my child learn English, yet meet academic achievement
standards for grade level promotion?
When is my child ready to begin English reading instruction?
- Scores level 4 or 5 on the English oral language proficiency test.
- Is able to meet the grade-level promotion standards in English.
How will I know if my child is learning English?
When will my child no longer need the Bilingual Transitional Program?
In third through fifth grade, a student must score fluent on the English Oral Language Proficiency Test (OLPT), meet the standards for English Reading STAAR, and advance high on TELPAS writing. In fourth grade students must score fluent on English OLPT (Oral Language Proficiency Test), and meet the standards for English Reading STAAR, and English Writing STAAR.
What can I do to help my child at home?
- Continue to speak to your child in Spanish.
- Teach your child concepts in Spanish. This knowledge can be transferred to English.
- Read with your child daily in Spanish