Elementary Bilingual

Bilingual Transitional Academic Program


What is the Bilingual Transitional Program in Northside ISD?

The academic program model teaches the state required Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills (TEKS). The research-based program uses the child’s primary language for instruction as he or she learns the second language (English) and achieves academic success.

What schools offer the Bilingual Transitional Program?

To see a current listing of schools that offer the Bilingual Transitional Program,
visit: http://nisd.net/bilingual-esl/bil-cluster-feeder-schools

What if my neighborhood school does not offer the Bilingual Transitional Program?

          The district provides free transportation to the nearest Bilingual Transitional school.  

Who will teach my child in the Bilingual Transitional Program?

Your child will be taught by a highly qualified bilingual certified teacher.

Why is the Transitional Program the best placement for my child?

  • Bilingual teachers are specially trained to teach students who are learning English as a second language.
  • Bilingual teachers are able to identify academic strengths and needs and tailor instruction for students in all academic areas in the targeted language.
  • Bilingual teachers know which concepts/skills in Spanish transfer into English easily and which may require more work.

Why is Spanish used for instruction?

Research indicates that using the child’s primary language as the means of academic instruction supports transition into the second language. Concepts and skills transfer from one language to the other. Strong primary language development helps students learn English.

How will the Bilingual Transitional Program help my child learn English, yet meet academic achievement

standards for grade level promotion?

Your child will learn grade-appropriate knowledge and skills in his or her native language as he or she learns English as a second language.

When is my child ready to begin English reading instruction?

Students need five to seven years to develop academic language proficiency. Your child’s English instruction begins in pre-kindergarten, and as English proficiency increases, more instruction in English is provided. 
Normally, most of your child’s instruction will be in English when your child:
  1. Scores level 4 or 5 on the English oral language proficiency test.
  2. Is able to meet the grade-level promotion standards in English.

How will I know if my child is learning English?

Your child will be assessed annually with the Texas English Language Proficiency Assessment System (TELPAS). TELPAS is a federal requirement for assessing the English language proficiency of English language learners in four language domains: listening, speaking, reading, and writing. You will receive information from the school regarding your child’s performance.

When will my child no longer need the Bilingual Transitional Program?

In third through fifth grade, a student must score fluent on the English Oral Language Proficiency Test (OLPT), meet the standards for English Reading STAAR, and advance high on TELPAS writing. In fourth grade students must score fluent on English OLPT (Oral Language Proficiency Test), and meet the standards for English Reading STAAR, and English Writing STAAR.

What can I do to help my child at home?

  1. Continue to speak to your child in Spanish.
  2. Teach your child concepts in Spanish. This knowledge can be transferred to English.
  3. Read with your child daily in Spanish