Welcome to Northside Independent School District, where we pride ourselves on our outstanding educators and our superior instructional and extracurricular programs.
Our most recent graduates, the Class of 2019, earned more than $194 million in college scholarships and 4,593 industry-recognized certifications that prepared them for the workforce. The district’s graduation rate is 94.3% for the Class of 2018, which is the most recent data available.
In the 2019-2020 academic year we are expanding our dual language program and also expanding our Pre-Kindergarten program to full-day at more than 30 sites. We will also pilot STEM Labs at 12 elementary schools.
At the middle school level, we are developing our first middle school magnet program with a STEM focus. It will open in fall 2020 at Jones Middle School. We are also offering a new course this year, Methodology for Academic Personal Success (MAPS)/Communication Applications, that ensures every middle school student will earn at least one high school credit before the ninth grade.
Northside’s enrollment for the 2019-2020 school year is expected to be more than 106,000 and we are one of the largest and most diverse school districts in the state. We are the fourth largest school district in Texas and the 25th largest school district in the United States.
Last year, voters approved School Bond 2018 which will fund improvements to existing schools and fund four new schools.
Despite our size, we still maintain a cohesive, family-friendly atmosphere that places the utmost importance on student success, community involvement, and fiscal responsibility. I welcome you to visit any of our 120 campuses, including our newest high school magnet program Marshall Law and Medical Services which is located on the Marshall High School campus.
Whether you’re a parent, a business owner, or a community member, there are a number of ways for you to become connected with the school district, including the Northside Education Foundation, which awards grants to teachers for classroom innovation and is one of the top 50 education foundations in the country. Other ways to get involved include School-Business-Community Partnerships and our many mentorship opportunities.
I also invite you to stay connected with NISD by joining the Friends of Northside network. We will send you weekly news and announcements about Northside ISD. You can also follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube. Our mobile app is available for iPhone and Android users.
Northside truly is San Antonio’s premier school district of choice and I assure you we will continue to maintain our tradition of academic excellence for every student. We teach every child based on their individual needs and work to provide them access to the programs of their choosing. While doing that for over 106,000 students is daunting, it is also our responsibility – one we are committed to honoring.
Brian T. Woods, Ed.D.
The Northside Independent School District is committed to the belief that children come first. The mission of the district is to encourage each student to strive for personal excellence and to ensure all students learn to function, contribute, and compete as responsible individuals in an ever-changing world.
- The well-being and education of children are vital to the future of our society.
- Everyone shares in the responsibility for the education of children.
- Every individual has a contribution to make to society and has a responsibility to do so.
- The quality of our schools directly affects the quality of our community.
- All people can learn.
- Challenge, effort, self-discipline, and opportunity to learn are necessary for students to reach their potential.
- Learning is a lifelong process.
- People are our most important resource.
- Each individual has worth and deserves respect.
- The family unit provides the foundation for all learning.
- Parents have the responsibility and the right to be meaningfully involved with their child’s education.
- The diversity of our cultural heritage enriches life.
- Individuals are responsible for their actions.
- A basic role of an educational system is the intellectual growth and development of the student.
- An educated population is necessary to sustain a democratic society.
- Learning is accomplished through challenging learning experiences provided by superior educators in partnership with parents and the community in a climate of cooperation and mutual respect.
|Athletics||Stan Laing, Executive Director|
|Northside Police||Charlie Carnes, Chief of Police|
|Pupil Personnel||Vicky Sullivan, Director|
|Resource Planning (Boundaries)||Debbie McNierney, Director|
|Transportation||Rafael Salazar, Director|