Can We Go?
A Webquest about Budgeting a Vacation
by Pam and Kim Albrecht, CITs based on an idea by Cristela Valdez, 3rd grade teacher
Rhodes Elementary and Northwest Crossing Elementary, Northside ISD
Your family has saved for 2 years. . Birthday money, Christmas money, extra job money, ....every penny has gone into the Travel fund. At your last family meal, it was determined that you would be in charge of deciding if this was the year you got to travel to your dream spot- Disneyland. You were given the family budget spreadsheet where you saw your travel budget. You had to decide...... Can we go?
To answer that question, you must determine the estimated cost of your entire trip. Each of the steps below will help you calculate the cost of that particular requirement of the trip. When each step is finished, you will enter that step total on the Travel Spreadsheet. Finally, you will compare the total cost on your family budget spreadsheet with your own Travel spreadsheet. Can you go?
To present your findings to your family you need to present your Travel spreadsheet with a pie chart embedded showing the percentage of your budget for each of the following areas. You will also practice for that presentation by answering anticipated questions and developing a written summation of your decision to present to your family. Ultimately it is you who will decide, "can you go?"
Printed directions are also available.
|Step 1: Determine the cost of tickets at the attraction.||
Decide where you would like to go. Your family has decided on two options- A. Disneyworld in Orlando, Florida or B. Yellowstone National Park in Gardiner, Wyoming.
Option A: If you are going to Disneyworld, use Internet Explorer to go to the Disney World Ticket Information Site . You will be buying the 5 Day Park Hopper Bonus Ticket. Be sure to check the Park Hopper Option. (Double check that these prices will be good through January 5,2009.) To determine your total, open your Travel Spreadsheet. Click on the Tickets tab at the bottom.
1. Find the price for children age 3-9. Put in cell B3. Find the price for Adults over 9. Put in cell B4.
Option B: Option A: If you are going to Yellowstone National Park, use Internet Explorer to go to the Yellowstone Park Site . As you read, you will find that your entrance fee is based on how you come in to the park. You are driving your family sedan into the park. Because you are in a private vehicle, you do not have to pay an individual fee in addition to your vehicle fee. To determine your total, open your Travel Spreadsheet. Click on the Tickets tab at the bottom. Put the price per vehicle (sedan) in cell B11. Put the number of cars you are taking in cell C11. Multiply the price per sedan in cell B11 times the number in cell C11. Put that total in cell D14.
|Step 2 : Determine the transportation cost of travel .||
To find the cost of travel the first step is to determine how many miles you will be traveling.
1. Double click on the Google Earth icon to open it. You can use the scrolling wheel on the mouse to zoom in and out on the map.
|Step 3: Determine the cost of hotels for the entire trip.||
We will estimate the cost of rooms by going to the La Quinta site and using their price as a basis for our hotel costs. On the left side of the site it has the date has defaulted to a 1 night rate with today's date for 1 person. Change that to 1 night for 4 persons. It will automatically
1. Find the cost of a room with double beds. Open your travel spreadsheet and click on the Hotel tab at the bottom. Put the amount in cell A3.
2. To find how many rooms you will need, go further down on the same spreadsheet. In cell A12, put in the number of people in your family that are going on the trip. Divide that number by 4. Enter the answer in cell C12. Also, enter the answer in cell B3.
3. Put the number of days you will be on your trip (5 days in Disney land, 3 days going, 3 days coming home) in cell C3.
4. Now multiply the cost of the room (A3) times the number of rooms (B3) times the number of days (C3.) This will be your total for hotels. Enter that amount in cell (D3.)
|Step 4: Determine the cost for meals for the trip.||
We will be estimating the cost of our meals by looking at menus from 3 restaurants- 1 for breakfast, one for lunch and one for dinner. You will choose a median priced meal for each, add those three together and use that total to estimate your meal cost for the whole trip.
1. Open the Hamburger Hut Menu (yes, they have a great breakfust menu.). Choose a median priced breakfast. Enter it's cost in cell B3. Find a drink (if it is not included in a meal deal.) Place that amount in cell C3. Add B3 and C3 to get a total for Breakfast. Put the total in Cell D3.
2. Open the McCallister's Deli Menu. Choose a median priced lunch. Enter it's cost in cell B4. Find a drink (if it is not included in a meal deal.) Place that amount in cell C4. Add B4 and C4 to get a total for lunch. Put the total in D4.
3. Open the Zio's Italian Kitchen Menu. Choose a median priced dinner. Please note that we will be eating dinner here, NOT lunch. You may not order a lunch special at dinner. If you do not like regular Italian food, try the pizza on page 4. Enter it's cost in cell B5. Find a drink (if it is not included in a meal deal.) Place that amount in cell C5. Add B5 and C5 to get a total for dinner. Put the total in D5.
4. Add the total for each meal (cells D3, D4, and D5.) Put that total amount in cell D6.
5. To determine the meal cost for the whole trip, put the total amount for 1 day in cell B9. (See D6 above.) Multiply that by the number of days (C9.) . (5 days in Disney land, 3 days going, 3 days coming home.) Put the total for the trip in cell D9.
Determine the final cost of the trip.
1. Click on the Tickets tab. Find the total cost of tickets (D6.) Put that amount in cell B2 on the Travel Budget tab.
2. Click on the Transportation tab. Find the total cost of transportation (E3.) Put that amount in cell B3 on the Travel Budget tab.
3. Click on the Hotel tab. Find the total cost of the hotels (D3.) Put that amount in cell B4 on the Travel Budget tab.
4. Open the Meals tab. Find the total cost of meals for the trip (D9.) Put that amount in cell B5 on the Travel Budget tab.
5. Add the amounts in cell B2, B3, B4 and B5 to determine the total cost of your trip to Disneyland.
Prepare to Justify your decision with your parents.
To prepare yourself for the questions you might be asked by your parents, make a graph to make answering easy.
To make a pie graph showing percentages:
1. On the Travel Budget tab, highlight cells A1 through B5. Click on the Chart Wizard Icon on the toolbar. Click Pie Graph and choose the Exploded Pie variation. Click Next.
2. Make sure in step 2 of the wizard that your series are in a column. (The radio button should be colored in next to "Columns.") Click Next.
3. On Step 3 of the wizard, title your chart Cost of Traveling to Disneyland for Vacation on the Titles tab. Click on the legend tab and choose where you want your legend. Then click on the Data Labels tab and click next to percentage so that your chart will show the percentages of each of the areas of the budget.
Prepare for your parent's questions by answering the following questions using the chart you have created.
|Can You Go?||
By comparing your Family's Budget with your Travel Budget determine if your family can go to Disneyland. Use your charts and graphs to back up your decision. Write a short summation of your decision to help you in your family presentation. Can you pack your bags??
|Resources for this project:||
Be sure to credit these sources by copying the following information into the Credits tab on your spreadsheet:
1. Lady Anne. Background Image. 27 April 2008 < www.packrat-pro.com>
1. Disneyworld Images. "Disneyland Address." 12 April 2008 < http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/wdw/index>
2. "Disney Tickets and Reservations." 12 April 2008 < Disney World Hompage >
3. "New Reservation Page- La Quinta Hotels." 27 April 2008 <New Reservations>
4. Hamburger Hut Menu. 27 April 2008. Hamburger Hut.
5. McCallister's Deli Menu. 27 April 2008. McCallister's Deli.
6. Zio's Italian Kitchen Menu. 27 April 2008. Zio's Italian Kitchen.
7. National Park Service. "Yellowstone Entrance Fees and Permits." 08 May 2008. <http://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/feesandreservations.htm>