This is an great site to help answer questions about transition and special education.


Special Education Social Workers

The Special Education Social Workers serve students enrolled full-time at the Reddix Center, the Holmgreen Center, and other assigned NISD schools designated by the NISD Special Education Directors and Area Coordinators.

The Social Workers provide assistance in accessing social services by:

  • assessing the social needs of students and families
  • coordinating services with community and school entities
  • collaborating and facilitating procurement of services
  • nerworking and building a working partnership with the community.

Other transitions services are addressed at:

  • outreach events - hosting educational/support groups to keep parents informed of various community services, and/or at campus-based presentations
  • ARD's
  • home/campus/office visits
  • group home and day program tours
  • transition meetings or staffings
  • situations requiring crisis prevention and/or intervention

Close interdiscipliinary collaboration with school personnel and networking with community agencies is important in successfully integrating school,  home and community resources for students and their families.  

Contact your Social Worker:


Yvonne Larralde at 397-2472


The following are some of the links related to transition for the students leaving the Reddix Center:

Alamo Area Council of Governments

Center for Health Care Services

Department of Aging and Disability Services-Texas

Department of Aging and Disability Services-San Antonio

Department of Assistive and Rehabilitation Services

Department of State Health Services

Social Security Administration (ssi)

Medicaid Buy In Program Texas

VIA Trans

Texas Parent to Parent

Education Service Center, Region 20

The Down Syndrome Association of San Antonio

Disability San Antonio

The ARC of San Antonio