Kathryn Van Winkle

January 25, 2000

On Dec. 17, a first grade student at Galm Elementary School had an unfortunate encounter with a jawbreaker that became lodged in his throat. The piece of candy had blocked the student's windpipe causing him to pass out from lack of oxygen. His teacher, Kathryn VanWinkle, heard the shouts for help from other students and, using the Heimlich maneuver, was able to dislodge the jawbreaking saving the young man's life. An ambulance was called and a trip to the emergency room confirmed that the young man would be fine - thanks to this wonderful teacher.