For the fifth consecutive year, Northside ISD can claim a Region 20 Teacher of the Year. The 2014 Region 20 Secondary Teacher of the Year is Christian DeBerry a Special Education teacher at Hobby Middle School.
DeBerry will now move to the next level of competition and will vie to be one of six finalists for Texas Teacher of the Year, an annual competition organized by the Texas Association of School Administrators. The Elementary Texas Teacher of the Year and the Secondary Texas Teacher of the Year will be announced in October.
DeBerry was honored in March as Northside’s Middle School Educator of the Year. She has been teaching for five years, all in Northside. She didn’t plan to become a teacher. While in college studying for a Business degree, she took a part-time job as a nanny to a little girl with special needs.
“We all have a purpose and I have found mine,” DeBerry says. “It is working with students with special needs. While I have people tell me all the time that they couldn’t do my job or wouldn’t want my job, my response to them is I wouldn’t have it any other way.”
Education Service Center Region 20 includes more than 50 counties in San Antonio and surrounding areas. More than 14 school districts submitted nominations for Teacher of the Year.
Recent honorees from Northside ISD include:
- Maricela Alarcon, Burke Elementary School, 2010 Region 20 Elementary Teacher of the Year, 2010 state finalist for Texas Teacher of the Year.
- Daniel Leija, Esparza Elementary School, 2011 Region 20 Elementary Teacher of the Year, 2011 Texas Teacher of the Year.
- June Shanahan, Scobee Elementary School, 2012 Region 20 Elementary Teacher of the Year, 2011 Runner-Up Texas Teacher of the Year.
- Theresa Heim, Connally Middle School, 2013 Region 20 Secondary Teacher of the Year, 2013 state finalist for Texas Teacher of the Year.
- Barbara Purkhiser, Galm Elementary School, 2013 Region 20 Elementary Teacher of the Year.
NISD-TV visited her classroom and profiled Ms. DeBerry after her Educator of the Year win- watch here.