Northside ISD offers free, half-day pre-kindergarten for eligible four-year-old students in their neighborhood schools. About 2,900 pre-kindergarten students are projected for the 2013-2014 school year.
Parents may register their child at their home campus beginning August 1. Find out which campus your child should attend by using the NISD School Boundaries Information System at nisd.net/boundaries-and-buses.
“Northside has been in the pre-kindergarten business for years,” says Pat Mesquiti, Instructional Specialist for Pre-Kindergarten and Kindergarten programs. “We have a tried and true program, high-quality teachers and we are constantly looking at ways to strengthen our instruction to help our students. Pre-K students will continue with NISD through kindergarten and beyond, so we strive to provide a solid foundation of learning from day one.”
Parents should bring the following documentation to registration-
- Immunization Record- updated
- Proof of Residence- current electric bill, telephone bill, apartment lease or closing papers from a home purchase (cell phone bills will not be accepted)
- Birth Certificate- must be original
- Social Security card- optional
- Proof of (Gross) Income
More detailed descriptions of acceptable documentation along with the additional documentation required for military personnel can be found at www.nisd.net/schools/kinder/pre-k.
In order to be eligible for pre-kindergarten, state law requires that children must be 4 years of age on or before September 1, and (one of the following):
- unable to speak or comprehend the English language, or
- eligible to participate in the National Free/Reduced Lunch Program, or
- homeless, or
- come from a family whose parent or official guardian is "active-duty" military personnel or whose parent/guardian was killed or injured while on active duty, or
- have been in the conservatorship (foster care) of the Department of Family and Protective Services (DFPS) following an adversary hearing.
For more information about Northside pre-kindergarten, call 397-8780 or visit www.nisd.net/instruction/kinder.
Through the Family Service Association, Northside offers Head Start for approximately 750 three-and-four-year-olds. Some four-year-olds attend school for a full day- a half-day of pre-kindergarten and a half-day of Head Start. To qualify, students have to live in the attendance zone for a school that offers Head Start, which will be at 17 campuses for the 2013/2014 school year. For more information and full eligibility requirements, contact the Family Service Association at 299-2400.
Beginning in August, the City of San Antonio will offer free, full-day pre-kindergarten for eligible students under the Pre-K 4 SA initiative. Two education centers will enroll 350 students each. It is funded by a voter-approved 1/8 cent increase in the local (San Antonio) sales tax rate.
For information about Pre-K 4 SA, call 207-PREK (7735) or go to www.sanantonio.gov.