We never want our students or staff members to feel like a number, but we can’t deny that Northside ISD has some pretty impressive stats. Keep reading for a numeric perspective of Northside ISD:
- Northside was established in 1949 when 12 rural school districts joined to form the 355-square-mile district we know today in northwest San Antonio.
- The very first graduating class in 1951 had 10 graduates. Today, more than 5,300 seniors cross the graduation stage each year.
- Northside ISD is only 50 percent developed. Helotes is the geographic center of the District.
- Almost 50 percent of all single-family homes built in Bexar County are in NISD, thus the nickname, ‘the destination district.’
- About 26,500 lots are planned for development, with another 24,300 lots possible as land likely to be developed.
- Almost 90 percent of NISD is in Bexar County. The rest is in Bandera and Medina counties.
- NISD has an enrollment of 97,439 students and is the 4th largest district in Texas and the 31st largest district in the nation.
- More than 12,000 full-time and part-time people are employed by Northside, making it one of the largest employers in San Antonio.
- 516,439 people and 11,915 businesses call Northside home.
Instruction & Academics
- Northside, a Recognized District, has 32 Exemplary schools, 36 Recognized schools, and 29 Academically Acceptable schools.
- Northside ISD was the 1st school district in the state to be honored by H-E-B Excellence in Education Awards.
- As a finalist for the prestigious Broad Prize for Urban Education, Northside was awarded $125,000 in college scholarships for the Class of 2008.
- NISD offers 5 high school magnet programs: Business Careers, Communications Arts, Construction Careers, Health Careers, and Science and Engineering.
- The number of credits required to graduate from a Northside high school is 26 (on the Recommended program).
- NISD libraries circulate more than 2.5 million items and serve more than 3.16 million student library visits each year.
Facilities & Construction
- The District opens 2 to 5 schools each year to accommodate an enrollment that is growing by about 3,000 students per year.
- Altogether, NISD has 127 campus and support facilities that comprise more than 14 million square feet of space.
- For the third consecutive year, Associated General Contractors ranked NISD No. 1 in construction performance among eight public agencies in San Antonio.
- Minorities make up 80 percent of NISD’s enrollment.
- Northside students speak more than 100 different languages and dialects from all over the world.
- 52.2 percent of NISD’s enrollment is classified as economically disadvantaged.
- Northside has a $1.01 billion budget for the 20011-12 school year.
- For the 9th year in a row, Northside has achieved the highest rating of “Superior Achievement” from the state’s financial accountability rating system, called Schools FIRST.
- For 20 years in a row, NISD has been recognized by the Government Finance Officers Association for exemplary reporting.
- The assessed value of property in NISD is $32.4 billion.
- The annual cost to educate each child in NISD is $6,784.
- NISD has 694 bus drivers and 228 bus assistants who drive 850 buses more than 8.3 million miles a year.
- About 60,000 students ride the bus to and from school each day. NISD transports children who live 2 or more miles from school.
- With about 5,000 wireless access points throughout the District, NISD has the largest school district wireless deployment in the United States.
- The NISD Child Nutrition Department provides about 100,000 meals a day and a total of 18 million meals a year.
- NISD high schools are classified as 5A schools, the designation for Texas’ largest schools.
- Northside voters have approved $2.5 billion in bond issues since 1995 to build new schools and renovate and expand existing schools.
- Northside’s extensive energy management program saves the District more than $1 million a year in utility bills.
- Northside ISD was the 1st school district in the country to purchase a new line of buses fueled exclusively by propane, an alternative fuel that is cheaper and cleaner than gasoline.
- Since 1995, the Northside Education Foundation has awarded more than $6.8 million in scholarships and teacher and program grants.
- More than 20,000 community members volunteer in Northside schools.
- Two major universities and one community college are in NISD: The University of Texas at San Antonio, the University of Texas Health Science Center, and Northwest Vista College.
- Two major Texas theme parks are in NISD: SeaWorld and Six Flags Fiesta Texas.
- More than 37,000 community members and children are enrolled in adult, community education, career advancement, and Learning Tree after school care programs.