NISD High School Bowling Club State Winners
In only its second year of competition, NISD High School Bowling Club has grown to 10 teams (up two additional teams from last year). This makes NISD the biggest promoter of high school bowling in the state of Texas and in the nation. With this sudden growth, NISD split into two districts (NISD-I and NISD-II).
Two boys teams (Taft and Marshall) and three girls teams (Jay, Taft, and O'Connor) qualified to go on to the state competition, with the Taft boys team placing second overall. Individually, Jessica Cantu from Brandeis High School placed second overall, and Alexandra Perez from O'Connor High School placed third overall.
The five teams and their coaches were recognized by the Board of Trustees for their accomplishments along with those individuals who placed in the top 32.
Water Polo, Swimming and Diving State Qualifiers
Two girls from Northside received All-State recognition for their efforts in the TISCA State Water Polo Tournament.
- Marisa Olmo is a senior 2-meter player and attacker from O'Connor High School.Marisa received Honorable Mention recognition for her play and has committed to attend Trinity University next year as a member of their swimming team.
- Amber Martinez is a senior 2-meter player and attacker from Clark High School.Amber also received Honorable Mention recognition for her play.
Five boys from Northside received All-State recognition for their efforts in the TISCA State Water Polo Tournament.
- Andrew Sanchez, senior attacker from Clark High School, Honorable Mention
- Brian Sanchez, senior goal-keeper from Clark High School, Honorable Mention
- Luke Harle, senior 2-meter player from Clark High School, Honorable Mention
- Derek Poirier, junior attacker from Clark High School, Honorable Mention
- Alan Romero, senior 2-meter player from Marshall High School, Honorable Mention
The following swimmers and divers represented their high schools at the UIL State Swimming and Diving Championship Meet in Austin on Feb. 26-27, 2010:
- Swimmer Cassie Niles, O'Connor High School
- Swimmer Chelsea Miller, Clark High School
- Swimmer Robbie Morris, O'Connor High School
- Diver Megan Scott, Brandeis High School
Track and Field State Qualifiers and Winners
Nineteen Northside ISD athletes participated in the UIL State Track Meet on Saturday, May 15. Four of the athletes received medals in their event. They were:
- First place - Gregory Coleman, Warren High School, 300-meter hurdles with personal best time of 36.86 seconds.
- First place - Laura Oseghae, Brandeis High School, long jump with a leap of 18'-10 ¾." She also placed fourth in the triple jump with a leap of 38'-3 ¾."
- Third place - Chris Nicassio, Brandeis High School, discus with a throw of 168'-10."
- Third place - Nichaela Palu, Marshall HS, high jump clearing 5'-8."