Title I Paraprofessionals
Northside ISD Eligibility Requirements
- obtained an associates degree or higher from an accredited college or university; OR
- completed two years of college from an accredited university; OR
- demonstrated, through a formal training program approved by the school district, the ability to assist in instruction AND knowledge of reading, writing, and mathematics.
What constitutes "two years of college or university study?"
For paraprofessionals in Texas, completion of at least 48 semester hours at an accredited college or university will satisfy this requirement.
The law does not specify either a minimum GPA nor a recommended course of study in which the 48 hours must be completed.
Please note that there are many local and Internet-based colleges that offer "associate degrees" to persons who are willing to pay for them.
Most of these businesses offer excellent training opportunities to their "students," and many even have government-approved financial aid available to attend them.
HOWEVER, none of these for-profit companies that may call themselves colleges have met the rigorous standards of the approved regional accreditation associations approved for NCLB purposes.
Title I Hiring Supplement
Persons meeting the eligibility criteria who are hired to work as instructional assistants at a Title I school currently receive a $300 salary supplement, paid once annually.
The renewal of the Title I paraprofessional supplement is subject to Board approval annually, and is contingent on availability of funds.
NISD Title I schools
- Adams Hill
- Carlos Coon
- Colonies North (2015-16)
- Leon Valley
- Mary Hull
- Meadow Village
- Murnin (2015-16)
- Northwest Crossing
- Oak Hills Terrace
- Valley Hi
- Westwood Terrace
Eligibility requirements for working as an Instructional Assistant: Title I campuses
These requirements are:
- An Associates Degree or higher OR
- Two years of college/university study OR
- Demonstrate through a formal training program the ability to assist in instruction AND knowledge of reading, writing, and mathematics.
- 21st Century Learning Paraprofessional Training Program
- Region 13 and Region 20 Paraprofessional Training programs
- A State of California and other State approved Paraprofessional Training programs
- Other training programs that may be approved by NISD HR department