1. What documents do I need to register my child at Gregorio Esparza ACCELERATED Elementary School?
· Proof of Residency (utility bill, copy of rental property lease, or driver's license)
· Child's Birth Certificate (official state copy - NOT hospital copy)
· Child's Social Security Card
· Current Immunization Record
· Copy of last report card
· Pre-Kinder only - proof of household income
2. What are the procedures for qualifying for the federal free and reduced meal program?
3. What is the school uniform policy?
4. What do I do when I want to visit the school and see my child's classroom?
Call the school office and make an appointment or arrangements with the classroom teacher.
5. What do I do if I have a question, comment, or concern?
Talk to your child's teacher or call the school office.
Monthly newsletters contain a comment/suggestion section where parents can ask questions or make comments. These are then returned to the school where the issue are addressed and the parents called with an answer.
6. How do I become a parent volunteer/VIP?
Complete a VIP Form with the necessary information so the district required background check can be completed. Send the form to the classroom teacher who will forward it to the school office and VIP Coordinator.
7. How do I become approved as an Esparza field experience chaperone?
same procedure as for #6
8. What time does school begin and end?
School doors open at 7:00 a.m. for breakfast. Students must wait in the cafeteria or foyer until 7:15 when they are dismissed to proceed to their classrooms. If the teacher is not there, they should wait in the hall outside the room until the teacher arrives and gives them permission to enter the classroom.
Students arriving between 7:40 and 7:45 will be held in the cafeteria until after morning announcements. Students are considered "on time" when they are in their classrooms, ready to begin work by 7:45.
Students are dismissed at 2:45 p.m. Parents must complete a Dismissal Card to designate how a child goes home.
9. What do I do when I want to pick up my child early from school?
Parents must go directly to the office to sign the child out. The secretary will then call for the student. Students will only be released to approved individuals with the proper identification.
10. When do I pick up my child on Early Release Days?
Dates: Sept. 12, Oct. 10, Nov. 7, Feb. 13, May 9
The purpose of early release days is to provide additional staff time for professional development and parent conferences. Students are released at 11:50 a.m. Pre-kindergarten and PPCD hours are 7:50-9:50 and 9:50-11:50. Bus services are also provided at 11:50. Supervision is provided for students who must stay until 2:50.
11. What are the policies for absences and tardies?
See the district Parent-Student Handbook for State Laws.
12. Where is the school located?
5700 Hemphill Dr
San Antonio, TX 78228
13. What about class parties? What if I want to bring treats for my child's birthday?
The District allows two parties per year: a Christmas party and an End of the Year party.
You may no longer send edible treats with your child to celebrate his/her birthday. Birthday recognition will be given on Morning Announcements, and the birthday child will receive a birthday ribbon to wear all day. He/She may also sit at the birthday table during lunch with a family member or special friend.